Sunday, January 31, 2010

Hobbies

I think everyone should have a hobby. I have been busy, studying for tests, trying to keep ahead of work, and fulfilling obligations with friends. Of course, the obligations were just that--obligations that merely added to the hectic events of the week. I can't decide which is harder: trying to be there for everyone who needs you or realizing no one really needs you. I seem to face both situations every so often. Everyone always seems to need help at the same time, or they are all perfectly happy on their own. I can never help just one person at a time!



This was one of the weeks where everyone needed something. Stress compounded stress. Several once-in-a-life-time (or at least, once-in-a-college-career) events were also available for this week only. I could not cut anything out of my schedule. Weeks like these have taught me that a person really can get pretty much everything done if he plans properly and focuses on just one day at a time. Sadly, they have also taught me that burn out sets in fairly quickly. The only solution I have found is to have a hobby.



It seems the most foolish idea in the world: to solve the problem of an overflowing schedule by adding yet another activity. Ironically, it is the insanity that enables me to remain sane. Watching TV shows or playing a game on the computer in the few moments I can horde for myself, I find myself still stressing about all of the stuff I have to do as soon as I am done. Once I get off, reality sucks me back into its vortex, and I respond, shoulders bowed, feet barely able to make it off the ground, reluctantly obeying the inevitable.



Hobbies, however, defy logic. They require concentration. I get involved in them, invest myself in them to the point of forgetting everything on my agenda. By the time reality punches me in the face, I am ready to spring after it. I am never sure whether I rush to follow and enjoy all it can offer me or if I am merely trying to fight it off. Either way, I am just happy I can move! I don't feel like I am walking on a treadmill, spending precious energy getting nowhere!



Time is too special to waste doing nothing. Waste it doing something you enjoy!

1 comment: